Saturday 22 June 2013

The Dangers of Following the Flesh


Brothers and sisters I want to start this blog with an apology to all of you. I felt that after I’d read Galatians 5 and 6, it was obvious that I was in sin. Since this blog is a ministry, it’s easy to forget at times the precious gift that God has entrusted me with. And Paul makes that obvious in the passage that I’ll be revealing later in this blog. Although I say that I’ve been entrusted with a precious gift, I don’t mean that in a self-glorifying way of course, but rather in the way that Paul puts it “For each person will have to carry his own load.” Galatians 6:5

Since the Lord has humbled me to press on with this ministry and to do so joyfully, I would ask of you to please pray for me. I’m a weak man and I fall into the dangers of following the flesh all too easily. That said I’d like to begin this note with a sharp passage that cut its way into my heart this morning.

I say then, walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit desires what is against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you don’t do what you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, 21 envy] drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar. I tell you about these things in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:16-21

This passage is striking in every way, since Paul has explained our freedom in Christ in verse 13 “For you were called to be free, brothers; only don’t use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but serve one another through love.” Paul starts with the freedom of Christ in explaining what it means to be free and the opposition that we face with against the desires of the flesh in the preceding verses. I believe these verses should cause each and every Christian to humble themselves and ask first and foremost if the flesh is their own enemy.

The dangers of following the flesh is simply put like this, you don’t know you’re following the flesh until God’s word practically screams out at you! Look closely in verse 20 (in particular selfish ambitions). Selfish ambition would have to be the MOST stealth of all that opposes against the Spirit. Why do I say that?  We need discernment to know if our ambitions are selfish or not. In particular with what we do with our time and our money or even our goals. When I was a teenager, I used to collect many computer games. Even when I was in my early 20’s, I still didn’t stop my computer game habit; in fact it got worse since I wanted to upgrade my computer to one that was more powerful.

No one questioned my game collection, no one in the church pulled me aside and said to me “brother, I think you’re in sin!” I gave up my games after my grandparents passed away in 2009. God opened my eyes to the futility of what I was doing, feeding the desires of my flesh and living for worthless entertainment. I’m not condemning anyone who plays computer games at all, since we have been called to use our gifts and our talents for God’s glory. I would urge those who are ‘gamers’ to consider the motive of what they’re doing and if they’re doing it for the glory of the Lord.

We have been called as Christians to be at war with our flesh! And it is hard, I’m not going to lie and say that it’s easy. I cannot even walk into any computer game store at all knowing my past addiction to games. It might be the same for someone who has had problems with alcohol as well. Whatever it is, let me tell you straight and I mirror this back onto myself as well. There’s NOTHING worth chasing after in this world other than to know the Lord Himself! Let that be a reminder for us all when we are faced with the temptations of following after the desires of our flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment