Thursday 9 January 2014

The Sin of Association


Recently I posted an article on my Facebook regarding John Piper preaching alongside Christine Caine (http://apprising.org/2014/01/02/john-piper-to-preach-with-hillsong-pastrix-christine-caine-at-passion-2014/). I originally took this as John Piper preaching at a Hillsong conference, but later realised that I was wrong on this matter. However, that said many of my friends on Facebook disagreed with my argument. My argument was simply this “that we should use discernment about where we preach”. I mentioned that I (personally) wouldn’t begin preaching in a cult or a Catholic church or even a stip club. Now as I mentioned above, many of my Facebook friends disagreed with this which is why I've written this blog entry to explain my position a little more clearly.

There are a few passages in scripture that point us to be wary of whom we associate ourselves with. Now I want to be ultra-careful to mention that if I am wrong about this, please let me know, but that said please use the scripture as I am using the scripture to convey this matter of truth. One of the passages that first comes to mind is Galatians 2:11-14

But when Cephas[a] came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face because he stood condemned.[b] 12 For he regularly ate with the Gentiles before certain men came from James. However, when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, because he feared those from the circumcision party. 13 Then the rest of the Jews joined his hypocrisy, so that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were deviating from the truth of the gospel, I told Cephas[c] in front of everyone, “If you, who are a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel Gentiles to live like Jews?”[d]

In this passage Cephas’ along with Banabas’ sin was in relation to fearing those within the circumcision party and certainly not fearing Christ. Their association was in Jewish customs and the traditions of man than it was in knowing God and trying to win over those who don’t know Christ at all. This passage speaks very clearly about whom we associate ourselves with and the conduct in which we ought to consider carefully.

In Numbers 25:6-9 we see the sin of association between an Israelite man and a Midianite woman.

An Israelite man came bringing a Midianite woman to his relatives in the sight of Moses and the whole Israelite community while they were weeping at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 7 When Phinehas son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest, saw this, he got up from the assembly, took a spear in his hand, 8 followed the Israelite man into the tent,[c] and drove it through both the Israelite man and the woman—through her belly. Then the plague on the Israelites was stopped, 9 but those who died in the plague numbered 24,000. Numbers 25:6-9

This passage speaks volumes about sin of association. At this time, Israelites and those who were outside the covenant were not allowed to be yoked or associated with. If you’re still thinking that sin of association isn’t that bad, this was punishable by death! Now why ultimately was I objecting to anyone preaching on a Hillsong stage? From my experience having been to a Hillsong conference in order to warn people of false teachers, I knew that no one should approach such a platform lightly without first using discernment.

In Matthew 7:15-20 Jesus says Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravaging wolves. 16 You’ll recognize them by their fruit. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 In the same way, every good tree produces good fruit, but a bad tree produces bad fruit. 18 A good tree can’t produce bad fruit; neither can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that doesn’t produce good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So you’ll recognize them by their fruit.

Consider first the warning that Christ presents, we’re to ‘beware of false prophets’. This tells us two things already that false prophets and prophets both exist. But how do we distinguish between the two? Jesus mentions the fruit of a tree producing good or bad fruit, in other words, are their things in a person’s life that openly shows their conviction of sin and their need for Christ or is there something else that they’re motivated? Perhaps this might include money, fame or power? Now at this point I should mention that friends of mine and I didn’t enter the conference but instead we preached the gospel outside. Below this blog entry is a link to my Hillsong experience.

As Christ Himself says we’re to beware of false prophets, I doubt this means that we can shake hands and borrow their podium once in a while, even if that means preaching the true gospel. The apostle Paul speaks of avoiding false teachers in Romans 16:17-18.

Now I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause dissensions and obstacles contrary to the doctrine you have learned. Avoid them, 18 for such people do not serve our Lord Christ but their own appetites.[j] They deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting with smooth talk and flattering words. Romans 16:17-18

Now I don’t think Paul could be any clearer on the matter of associating one’s self with false teachers. And by scripture, I’m convicted that it’s biblical to avoid churches that produce bad fruit and hold to a different gospel, one of fame, money and power. This doesn’t mean we can’t call people out of those churches but we should not approach platforms so lightly without first considering scripture and using discernment and acting upon what is right by God. For more information on my Hillsong experience, check out this link. http://acts27.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/so-what-exactly-happened-at-hillsong.html

No comments:

Post a Comment