Friday 14 March 2014

Enduring Faith


Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4 But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-4

It is very fitting that James begins his epistle by saying in verse 2 “consider it great joy” in relation to the experience of trials. We get a hint in verse 1 that James is writing to Jews of the 12 tribes in the Dispersion. The Dispersion relates to Jews who have been scattered and perhaps driven out of their homes and villages from various persecutions and trials. But why consider this joy? Why is this a joyful occasion? The backbone of why James tells the Jews to consider it joy is based on verse 3 “knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.” It should give us great joy knowing that our faith is refined through many kinds of trials!

James goes on to giving us reason why endurance of faith is important. He mentions that it must complete its work resulting in maturity and completion, lacking nothing (verse 4). Endurance within trials builds maturity. I could tell you a few times when I personally have been without work for months, relying entirely on God to provide. This is not to say that I wasn’t working or not willing to work, but that for a time I was simply without work. And given that the Lord had placed me in such a situation, I am able to trust Him even more so if I am without work again.

Perhaps though your trials are far more distressing, having lost a loved one or having been excommunicated by your own family for your faith. Consider the premise of who James is writing the letter to, Jews who have been scattered because of their faith. God places us in the most difficult of circumstances at times in order that our faith may be refined in fire that we may be complete, lacking nothing and growing in maturity. In a single year I personally lost both of my grandparents, lost my job and my parents lost their jobs during 2009. I suffered depression on a scale that I’d never felt before. The Lord had brought me to such a lowly state that I cried out to Him “I cannot do anything without you!” This was the beginning of when I became a Christian. The Lord refined me through the fire; I endured suffering on an unfathomable scale. But He did this so that I could endure through the faith He’s provided. All praise goes to Him through endurance of trials so that we may grow in maturity and rest on His strength in knowing how to deal with these circumstances.

The Christian walk is obviously filled with many trials as we progress through life. Consider the apostle Paul who mentions all of what he endured for the sake of the gospel.

Are they servants of Christ?
I’m talking like a madman—I’m a better one:
with far more labors,
many more imprisonments,
far worse beatings, near death[h] many times.
24 Five times I received 39 lashes from Jews.
25 Three times I was beaten with rods by the Romans.
Once I was stoned by my enemies.[i]
Three times I was shipwrecked.
I have spent a night and a day
in the open sea.
26 On frequent journeys, I faced
dangers from rivers,
dangers from robbers,
dangers from my own people,
dangers from the Gentiles,
dangers in the city,
dangers in the open country,
dangers on the sea,
and dangers among false brothers;
27 labor and hardship,
many sleepless nights, hunger and thirst,
often without food, cold, and lacking clothing. 1 Corinthians 11:23-27

I doubt many of us could match Paul’s list of trials. But this gives us an idea of how he valued the gospel so much and was willing to endure suffering. O how we ought to learn from Paul and to consider the depth he went to in order to share the treasure that is the gospel! If only the gospel gripped us so much that we would toil night and day like he did with joy knowing that our faith is being refined, growing in maturity. Dear brothers and sisters let us have a greater value for the gospel for it is the power of salvation unto those who believe! (Romans 1:16) Let us not shrink back into a ‘lukewarm’ state but press on knowing that whatever lies ahead, God is good to guide us through the valley of death or remove us out of it entirely!

No comments:

Post a Comment