Tuesday 30 April 2013

The Expounding Joy of Certain Hope


If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Often in my walk with God I question whether or not I’m ‘lukewarm’ (Revelation 3:15-16). And this morning (without going into great detail) I was praying that the Lord would free my mind from such confusion. I often wrestle with what lukewarm means and I end up thinking about that passage in a seemingly unhealthy way. But praise the Lord that He had freed my mind from such confusion this morning from my confusion of sin, waking up to it and never fully recognising the Lord’s holiness, sovereignty and supremacy. Now I know that in dwelling on these things is unhealthy enough, since these great attributes of the Lord can only be expressed in eternity.

As I was reading Romans 10:9, it was as if a wave of pure and wonderful joy had hit me then and there. Certainty of salvation is found in this one amazing verse! Now in knowing these beautiful truths, I know that I cannot express the sheer depth of what this verse truly means. But since a wave of joy had struck me, I felt it was my joy and duty to share likewise the truth of this wonderful verse. Now I know that many Christians use this verse in an unhelpful way, a way to defend their carnality and friendship with the world. But surprisingly enough in reading this verse, I would think that such a verse with tremendous depth would be enough to rebuke such people, allow me to explain.

Paul is describing a Christian here in this verse a bit like a well-oiled machine. For in confessing that “Jesus is Lord,” one must also believe in their heart that the Lord did in fact raise Jesus from the dead. Paul in NO WAY means a partiality of heart, what do I mean by that you say? As I mentioned earlier of Christians who use this verse to defend their trivialities with the world, they themselves would have to agree that there is division of the heart, one that seeks after worldly desires and one that simply attends church on a Sunday. I believe that when Paul wrote “believe in your heart” he actually expects us to first examine ourselves to see where our heart truly is!

This verse expresses the conditions of salvation! Jesus Christ has provided the foundation to build on, we’re to confess and believe in our hearts. I don’t believe that Paul means a flippant way as well! Let us never forget that Romans was written to a church that suffered extraordinary persecutions which is exactly why Paul thanks the Lord for the faith of the Roman church being heard throughout the world (Romans 1:8). What does it mean to believe in your heart then? To believe in Christ is to live for Him that each and every day is set aside for His desire, His calling and His shaping of you. This is what it means to believe! And in believing you are unwavering in your confession of Christ regardless of what opposition you may face, even if that is certain death.

Christianity is a battle against the self. It is a battle against the self when we become so caught up with not wanting to offend others or ‘rattle a few cages’ regarding the message of the gospel. But let us learn from this perfectly well put verse and spur one another on in representing Christ with a believing heart and a confessing tongue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment