Sunday 19 May 2013

Jun’s Sin Revealed


There’s much to share about my trip to China with my wife, but I wanted to share a particular event that took place whilst we were over there. During our last night in the city of Jinan, we had dinner with my wife’s family. The thing about the people of Jinan is that they enjoy drinking alcohol and to a point which made my wife and I a bit uncomfortable. My father in law’s cousin (Jun) was there and he is known for getting drunk at all these family gatherings. The following day Jun apologised and as a way of saying sorry for his drunkenness he gave me a gift. My wife and I had been handing out bibles to friends and family which we purchased at a church in China, so I asked Jun if he had a bible. He said he didn’t have one, so we gave him one, I then proceeded to share the gospel with him. As soon as I mentioned sin, his face fell. He could see that the pieces were fitting together, sin needed to be dealt with, judged and condemned.

But I didn’t leave it at that, I shared the cross of Christ with Jun and his eyes lit up. He was a man who knew the ugly behaviour he had displayed the previous day and he was in need of Christ! He took the bible from me and he said “I’ll take it home right now!” True to his word, he went home just to drop off the bible at home. I have no doubt in my mind that this man can be used by God for the proclamation of the gospel, why do I say that? He was completely broken when I mentioned sin. Now consider what it takes for God to use anyone, a broken soul in need of forgiveness! This was the first person mentioned in Matthew 21:44 Whoever falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; but on whoever it falls, it will grind him to powder! “ I admit I do not know if this man has truly turned to Christ, but I saw the conviction of sin in Jun and that is why I pray for this man.

We as Christians should never fall into the trap of telling ourselves “oh that person would never be a Christian!” The Apostle Paul was a living testimony against such silly statements! Consider the fact that he was a murderer, idolater and a blasphemer. But God shows His strength by using the weak, by using the people whom are considered shameful upon the world’s eyes. Although in Paul’s case, he was a celebrity amongst the Pharisees; his eyes were open to the sin that he committed. He never wallowed in his sin saying “God can’t forgive me of this…!” Nonsense! Paul murdered Christians and divided churches, yet his revelation of sin only leads him to give glory to God. And likewise we should learn from Paul in knowing that it is Christ who gives forgiveness that knows no bounds at all! Let us share the gospel with the toughest people whom God has put before us. Let us share the gospel with the most socially outcast people this world has ever known. Let us share the gospel unconditionally with all people, and let God decided who is fit to receive His mercy and grace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment