Thursday 5 December 2013

Before You Send Your Kids to University…


This is a short blog entry that I want to express what’s been on my heart lately. This blog is for the parents and the young men and women who are considering university or college studies. I’m in my second year at Murdoch University based in Perth (I study via correspondence). As a Christian I will tell you this straight up, your worldview will constantly be attacked, this may be directly or indirectly. The one plea I have with godly Christian parents is this, please please don’t send your children to a secular university until they know the gospel and going to university is their primary mission to share the gospel.

I did an introductory course a couple of years ago and they taught us a lot about worldviews. They taught some truth but not all truth, what do I mean by that? The course never explored ‘how’ people assume their own worldview. They taught more or less that it’s everyone’s right to a worldview (which isn’t wrong). What they left out was information that is extremely vital in allowing Christians to have an excellent foothold in good apologetics, it’s called presuppositions.

Presuppositions are essentially the things that are presupposed. For example, before even discussing the cosmic evolution theory, a lecturer might presuppose that God doesn’t exist and therefore truth itself might be relative. Presupposition argumentation allow for a Christian to take out the pillars that hold up the secularist worldview. It’s dangerous, because you’re exposing the inconsistencies within their worldview. It’s an argument that has no effective counter argument to it. That’s why I say it’s dangerous because the premise of using this argument should effectively be out of love for the non-believer.

This argument works for the religious and non-religious people. It’s ‘nuclear’ as professor Greg L. Bahnsen would have it put. It’s easy to trust in the argument more so than the gospel, so like anything pray before using this. Remember this is just a tool in order to share the truth of the gospel. That’s why I plead with parents to not send their children to university until they know the gospel. I’ve posted up a youtube video of Greg L. Bahnsen’s first lecture on the ‘Myth of Neutrality’; this is an important position to know since secular lecturers still love to use this trick in the lecture halls. I also recommend purchasing Greg L. Bahnsen’s book “Pushing the Antithesis”, it’s a great book based on all 5 lectures which are all on youtube and I highly recommend viewing each one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment