Saturday 28 December 2013

The Exposed Affections in Psalm 119


 Psalm 119 is not only the longest psalm written in scripture, but also one that displays a lot of affection for the Lord’s commands. This has been one psalm that I really wanted to know, and I certainly wouldn’t say that I’ve plumbed the depths of this beautiful psalm. But there had been something bothering me all this time, as I was reading this psalm and reading how the psalmist had unbounding affection for the Lord’s precepts, commands, statutes and instruction…I couldn’t help but ask myself “why? Why does he have so much affection for the Lord’s instruction?” I read the psalm again and again, in search for my answer, carefully reading into the verses that speak of where the Psalmist’ heart was at. And then I prayed…

It was as if I couldn’t see the forest through the trees, I wanted to know so much why the Psalmist had an abundant delight in the Lord’s commands. So I asked God to reveal it to me and there it was, staring right at me, a single verse that gave greater meaning to every line of affection exposed in this great psalm!

I will never forget Your precepts,
for You have given me life through them. Psalm 119:93

This one verse took on a new light of the entire psalm for me, and it was as if I was questioning myself at the same time “do I delight in the Lord’s commands under the new covenant in the same way?” I began reading the preceding verses and I also noticed something else about the Psalmist’ affections.

I have not turned from Your judgments,
for You Yourself have instructed me. Psalm 119:102

The Psalmist exposes an intimate relationship in the delight of knowing the Lord’s instructions, as one who is instructed by the Lord! I believe this psalm speaks volumes of how we as Christians should respond knowing that it is Christ who established a new covenant with His people and allows us to delight in His instruction. Do we as Christians remember the Lord’s commands because He has provided life through them? Do we as Christians fear the Lord rightly knowing that He has personally instructed us through His word? Dear friends I would encourage you all to know this psalm, to know the affections that this Psalmist is displaying and to know why the psalmist takes delight in the Lord’s commands. To know this is to know that God has provided life through His word!

No comments:

Post a Comment